Friday, September 10, 2010

Burning Korans (yawn)

For now, it appears that a scheduled Koran-burning party down in Florida somewhere has been put on hold. Is it because the sponsor simply wimped out? Is it because he struck a deal of some sort? Is it because he suddenly realized that book-burning is symbolic of censorship, which is un-American?

Whatever the reason, I'm not sure I care. In our modern era of mass printing, purchasing a few Korans just to burn them has no practical effect except to increase the profits of Koran publishers. While we're at it, throw in a few Bibles, Rig-Vedas, Torahs, copies of The Shack, the Book Of Common Prayer, hymnals, and whatever religious hogwash you can afford to waste. On the other hand, please don't. It's wasteful and environmentally harmful.

I'm all in favor of religious crybabies of all stripes inciting each other to throw tantrums. It's great entertainment. But I wish we, as a social order, wouldn't be so wimpy with them when nonparticipants are caught in the crossfire.

Here's my modest proposal. Establish a judicial principle whereby anyone convicted of a crime for which a religious motive can be identified must serve out his sentence without being allowed to possess any religious artifact, receive visits from any religious leader, nor participate in any religious ritual.

I'm all in favor of freedom of religion as long as it's nothing more than peaceful fellowship. In fact I even participate in the Episcopal church for that reason. But it's time to stop giving religions any special treatment and begin recognizing them for the mere institutionalized mental disorders they really are. Yes, including the Episcopal church, which I feel qualified to criticize because I know it from the inside.

3 comments:

Mark Wadsworth said...

Excellent plan.

Captain Poolie said...

I'm on it! Where do I sign up?

Anonymous said...

Hold them raincoat watches do not use the same rating System of rules as Diving watches. [url=http://forums.enjoysextoys.com/2008/12/artistoc-vibes-mean-you-arent-the-only-beuuty-in-the-room/#comment-153543]extra resources[/url] Recommended Reading fertilisation for extreme dusty starts higher and reinflate something, and if that is the good blank then we are comfortably positioned to benefit. http://www2.uthm.edu.my/kktdi/Ai070199/